Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
Setting up archiving for Outlook 2016 for Mac:
- In Outlook, select Tools > Rules....
- Click on Exchange in the left column of the window to highlight it, then select the + sign at the bottom of the window to add a rule.
- In the Rule Name field of the next window, type in a description for the rule you are creating. This will appear in the Outlook Rules window (shown in Step 2) if you need to review, modify, or delete it in the future.
- Set additional criteria for the rule. For example, to have all messages that are older than 180 days moved from your account on the server to your Inbox on your computer, select the following:In the When a new message arrives: section, change the first drop-down to Date Received. Select Is Greater Than and type 180 in the days old field.
- If you have more than one email account configured in Outlook on your computer, click the + button to the right of days old to add the next rule condition and set it for your Liberty University email account.
- In the Do the following: section, select Move Message > Inbox (On My Computer).
Note: If you prefer to use another folder on your computer, that's fine. Just make sure the folder is labeled (On My Computer). Folders not labeled as such are located on the mail server and will still count towards your quota.
- If there is an additional row for rule criteria not being used, select the - button to its right to remove it.
- Make sure the Enabled box is checked and click OK.
- Click the red button in the upper right corner of the Rules window to close it and return to your Outlook mail.
- Click on the server Inbox to select it.
- Click on the Message > Rules > Apply and select the rule you want to run. In this example, the 180 Automatic Archive.
Depending on how many old messages you have, it may take a few minutes to complete the archive.
- Archived messages will now appear in the On My Computer folder selected in step 4c above.
Setting up archiving for Outlook 2011 for Mac:
- Create the folder to store the archived emails by right-clicking (control-click) the On My Computer heading and choose New Folder.
- Click on the Tools menu and select Rules.
- Below the On My Computer heading, select Exchange in the rules window, and click the "+" sign to add a new rule.
Note: Rules are processed in order from top to bottom in the list. Use the arrows to adjust the rule order.
- Name the Auto Archive rule.
- When a new message arrives: define the criterion as "Date Received" + "is greater than or equal to" + pick the number of days.
- Define the action as "Move message" + "Archived Mail (On My Computer)"
Note: If you do not see the folder you wish to archive to, you will need to click on the drop down next to "Move Message" and select Choose Folder... then search for the archive folder. Under the folder name, the location "On My Computer" should be displayed.
- Click OK, making sure that the Enabled button is selected
- If you would like to apply this rule to your current mailbox, from the Message menu, select Rules, then select the rule you would like to process.