To start using local Mac archiving, you would need to create the Archive folder. To create archive folder:
To create an archive folder choose one or more messages that you would like to archive > chose Archive on the ribbon. As soon as you choose Archive, you will get a prompt The "Archive" folder for "Microsoft" does not exist > to proceed click Continue button. The Archive folder will be automatically created.
After the folder is created you would need to set up an archiving rule:
- In Outlook 2016 for Mac, go to Tools > Rules.
- Alternatively, go to Rules from the ribbon and select Edit rules:
- If all conditions are met: Selected.
- When a new message arrives: Date Received | is greater than | enter any number | days old.
- Do the following: Move Message | any folder on your computer.
- Do not apply other rules to messages that meet these conditions: Enabling this option is up to you and depends on your other rules.
- Enabled: Checked.
Note: Outlook interface might be different and you will be prompted to specify After and Before dates.
Note: When you run this rule for the first time, archiving may take a lot of time to complete depending on your mailbox size.