Starting in the December 2016 all staff email accounts will be migrated to the new Exchange 2016 (know as WAVE 16) email servers as part of the colleges project to harmonise the email experience for both students and staff (students have already been migrated)
Whilst this work will be essentially transparent to the end user, once your mailbox has been migrated the links used to access your mailbox off campus and from personal devices, and the web interface will change to a responsive theme*
Please note that these changes only effect off campus web and phone/tablet access, the on campus Outlook interface will not change
The first time you run Outlook 2016 on a college computer you will need to complete your email setup - the steps are detailed here
The new OWA login link will be
And the login page will look as follows:
As before, you enter your college SSO username and password in the boxes and click on the 'sign in' link
The interface will look very different (unless you select 'use the light version' or are using a web browser that does not support the 'rich features' - see here) and we have detailed the key areas of the new layout below
- Create a new message by clicking 'New' link
- Folder list. The folder list includes the folders in your mailbox. It may include other folders, such as Favourites and archive folders. You can collapse this pane by clicking the folder icon at the top. You can expand and collapse folders in this view by clicking the triangle icons next to the folder names
- Search window. Type what you want to search for here, such as the name of a person you want to find messages from, or text that you want to search for to find a particular message.
- The message list is a list of the messages in the current folder. Each entry in the list view has additional information, such as how many unread messages there are in a conversation, or if there’s an attachment, flag, or category associated with any messages in the conversation. A conversation can have one or more messages. When a conversation is selected, you can delete it, add a flag, or add a category by clicking the icons. At the top of the list view are filters that you can click to quickly find messages that are unread, that include your name in the To or the Cc line, or that have been flagged. In addition to the filters, you’ll see the name of the folder you’re viewing and the view that you’ve selected.
- The reading pane is where the conversation that you’ve selected is displayed. You can respond to any message in the conversation by using Reply, Reply all or Forward at the top of a message to respond to it.
If you would prefer the older plain interface or you are having problems with a web browser on your computer - just tick the box 'Use the Light version of Outlook Web App' on the login page before you login
If you have setup access to your email on a personal phone/device, you may need to update your settings for the new email server name as detailed here
*Depending on the type of mobile device (phone or tablet) you are using you might see a simplified version of the above screens and some limited functionality when logging in and using this service
The login screens may look like
And the interface may look like